The inside scoop
The Salt House Story
Whilst sitting in the early morning South African sunshine, on the patio of The Salt House, enjoying a cup coffee and a homemade rusk, I noticed the freshness that the big garden and Hout Bay valley bless us with each day.
The smell of the gentle breeze is a mixture of earthy, woody scents from the valley and a certain saltiness from the ocean – and this is how the name The Salt House came about.
Established in August 2017, The Salt House is a family effort in both design and character. The Himalayan Salt crystal is where we drew inspiration and we hope that our colours, our flavours and our spunky personalities grant you an experience that is far from bland!
Get to know us
Nestled between mountains and the ocean of Hout Bay, the Salt House is an 8 bedroom guest house that recognises that without you, our valued guests, we would be nothing. It is for this reason, that we focus on making your stay with us, a wonderful one.
The Salt House aims to be a comfortable, family-friendly, welcoming base from which to explore and enjoy all that the Cape Town area has to offer.
The Salt House is superbly positioned near the Constantia Wine route, the beach and harbour of Hout Bay, the vibey and picturesque strip of Camps Bay, as well as the must-see Cable Car up famous Table Mountain.
The Salt House is a family-friendly Guest House, however, we take no responsibility for any injury / damage caused to any person on the property. Children are the sole responsibility of their parents / guardians. Our swimming pool and jungle gym facilities are used at one’s own risk.
The Salt House is a no-smoking Guest House, with the exception of a designated smoking area in the garden lapa.
Applicable to Guests who have secured a booking by providing the 50% deposit.
- Cancellation less than 14 days prior to arrival / non-arrival on date of check-in without notice = 100% of accommodation will be retained.
- Cancellation less than 28 days prior to arrival = 75% of accommodation will be retained.
- Cancellation less than 42 days prior to arrival = 50% of accommodation will be retained.
- Cancellation less than 56 days prior to arrival = 25% of accommodation will be retained.
Nightly rates are per room and include breakfast. The number of guests advertised per room is the maximum number allowed in the room. No additional requests will be allowed.
Children 0 – 4 years stay free, 5 – 12 years pay 75% of the rate. Teenagers pay full rate.
SAFETY & SECURITY
Although the Guest House management takes responsible steps to ensure the safety and security of all guests and their possessions, guests retain final responsibility for their own safety and security.
Hout Bay (afrikaans: Houtbaai meaning Wood Bay) refers to both the town, bay, the valley and the harbour.
A beautiful 20km drive along the coast from Cape Town CBD, this historic and still-working fishing village of Hout Bay, in a picturesque setting, makes Hout Bay town and harbour a must-visit tourist attraction whilst in the Cape.
Hout Bay is surrounded by mountains to the north, east and west and the southern Atlantic Ocean to the south. This centrally located town allows for a quick trip into Cape Town CBD, Camps Bay, Constantia wine farms, Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens,as well as the stunning Noordhoek beach.
Nearby activities include:
- A magnificent drive along Chapman’s Peak, voted one of the most scenic drives in the world,
- the harbours variety of restaurants, markets, curio shops and fresh fish shops,
- Learn to Stand Up Paddleboard or sea kayak in the bay
- Learn to surf at nearby Muizenberg (One of the best Learn-to-surf destinations in South Africa).
- Visit the Table Mountain cable car (10 minute drive) recently voted one of the Wonders of the Natural World.
- Taste some of the world’s best wines from the oldest wineries in the country,
- spend a day on the beautiful beach of Camps Bay, just 7kms away,
- go for a scenic hike or a swim in the reservoir in the Silvermine National Park,
- ride a horse through the valley and along the Disa river,
- but to list a few…